Purim is March 10 and the traditional treat for the holiday is baked hamantaschen, or “oznay Haman” (Haman’s ears).
Follow along as ISRAEL21c’s Jessica Halfin shows you how to make Nutella-filled hamantaschen cookies from scratch, in an edition of their cooking series Tayim.
Nutella Hamantaschen recipe
1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ + 1 tablespoon flour
Powdered sugar for cooled cookies
Nutella for filling
One bar each of white and dark chocolate melted separately.
Shelled pistachios, pulsed in food processor
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
3. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix to combine.
4. Add flour and salt, and mix until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out until 1/8-inch thickness, and cut out 3-inch circles with a cookie cutter.
6. Pipe 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of each circle, and fold up the edges in a triangle shape. Pinch the edges.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges and underside are golden.
8. Let cool completely, and sprinkle with powdered sugar, or drizzle with chocolate and decorate with crushed pistachios
Executive Producer – Jonathan Baruch
Producer/Director – Haim Silberstein
Chef – Jessica Halfin
Camera – Ari Amit