There may be no dessert that says, “I love you” more than chocolate fondue. Fondue is versatile enough to be a romantic dessert for two or a fun time for the whole family. The best part is that you get to linger, talk and genuinely enjoy the food and the people around you.
If you are intimidated by fondue – don’t be! It’s effortless to prepare and looks impressive, and you don’t even need a fondue pot – a small slow cooker works just as well.
Use your imagination with your dippers too. Pineapple dipped in warm chocolate is exquisite and frozen cheesecake takes two wonderful flavors to the next level.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces high-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces (you can also use a mix of 6 ounces semisweet and 6 ounces milk chocolate)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- For dipping: sliced banana, pineapple, berries, pretzels, pound cake, angel food cake, marshmallows, cookies, cheesecake, etc.
Prepare all of the items for dipping. The preparation of the fondue goes quickly so you will want to have all the fruit and other dippers ready ahead of time.
Heat the heavy cream in a pan over medium-low heat until hot and bubbles form around the sides of the pan. Do not bring to a boil.
Add the chocolate to the pan. Turn off the heat. Stir until completely smooth.
Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
Pour the mixture into a fondue pot or small slow cooker to keep warm while serving.
Serve immediately with dippers.